After nearly a decade of helping families and businesses move their belongings, MVM has mastered the art of getting items to their destination on time and in one piece. Over the years, we have been asked nearly every question related to moving, so we would like to share with you the answers to many of the same questions you may be facing.
That’s OK! We help people all of the time moving single, in home items like bedroom sets, refrigerators, washers and dryers, pianos, you name it.
MVM works with people from all parts of the country, experiencing all sorts of different weather conditions. There is never a “perfect” time to move, but the spring and fall months can bring a bit of reprieve from extreme weather conditions. We understand, however, that sometimes a big move needs to happen now, which is why we would are prepared and equipped to move you any time of year.
It is more affordable than you think. It is important to remember that paying someone to do it right the first time can eliminate tough situations like:
- Trying to find friends or family members willing and able to help you move.
- Attempting to locate a truck or van large enough to hold all of your belongings in one or two trips.
- Figuring out the best way to move large or awkward items.
- Dealing with the aftermath of accidentally damaging your expensive furniture or appliances.
MVM Moving & Storage has invested in the state-of-the-art equipment needed to tackle the extremely risky maneuver of heavy items like gun safes, pianos, and hot tubs. We made the choice to invest in this equipment to protect our most valuable asset, our dedicated team of movers. Rest assured that the men handling your move are professionals trained in a way that will protect both themselves and your belongings.
It really just depends on what kind of furniture we are talking about:
- Standard dressers and chests of drawers can typically be left with clothing in them, but please remove any books, jewelry, artwork, or other heavy or fragile items.
- Standard two drawer filling cabinets can be left full with paperwork, but please make sure that the files are secure in the cabinet.
- Exceptionally large or heavy dressers, wardrobes, and armoirs should be completely empty. We do provide wardobe boxes free of charge on move day to take care of any hanging items.
- Standard file cabinets larger than two drawers should be completely empty.
- Lateral and fire proof cabinets should be empty.
- For local moving, we charge hourly for our services based on the number of movers and trucks that you need. Our billable time is roundtrip from the time we leave our facility until we return with no additional charges for destination, fuel, trucks, or other standard equipment. There can sometimes be additional charges for speciality or very difficult to move items such as pianos, safes, fireproof cabinets, hot tubs, and commercial-quality gym equipment. All of our charges are discussed up front so there are no surprises on move day.
- When moving out of the Columbus, Ohio area (across the state or across the country) we also charge hourly based on the crew size and equipment that you will need for your job. In addition, long distance jobs will also carry a fuel charge as well as an overnight fee if we need to provide food and lodging out of town. All moves are different, the best thing to do is call us to get a quote over the phone or schedule a time for an estimator to come take a look at the scope of your job.
- We do not bill for lunches, breaks, or any time not directly associated with your move.
- Any materials such as boxes, tape, or packing paper are billed out based on what you actually use. Pricing information can be found here MVM Moving & Storage Moving Supply List
- Special equipment charges can vary depending what you may need. Car dollies, rental trucks, trailers, or other specail equipment can be quoted at anytime.
We try to be as up front and clear about our pricing as possible. Generally, we charge hourly for moving, but there are some exceptions listed below:
- Pianos, safes, fireproof cabinets, and commercial gym equipment can carry an additional charge ranging from $35 to $100 per piece. We are happy to include these prices in your estimate and will never charge you without your knowledge and permission.
- Fuel charges are generally waived on intown moves. There is a regional fuel fee of $40 for destinations such as Springfield, Chilicothe, Newark, Marion, and Mt Vernon. Long distance moves carry a fuel charge based on the equipment that is needed for the job.
- Overnight fees are assessed in cases where we need to provide lodging and food for the guys on long distance moves.
- Equipment charges are assessed as needed for specialty equipment use or rentals and will always be outlined up front.
- All packing materials are billable with the exception of wardrobe boxes used and returned on move day. We are happy to return or exchange any new condition materials purchased from us that you did not use. If you would like wardrobe boxes prior to your move we would take a full refundable deposit at the time of pickup or delivery.
- Supply deliveries are typically $25 in the Columbus area.
Yes we do. We have a variety of common moving supplies in stock at our warehouse available for customer pickup during normal business hours or for scheduled delivery.
Our standard inventory includes:
- HeavyDuty Boxes (Small, Medium, Large, XLarge)
- Packing Paper
- Heavy-Duty Tape
- Commercial Tape Guns
- Wardrobe Boxes
- Mattress Bags
- Plastic Wrap
Specialty packing materials are available through special order with a 1-2 week turn around time.
We do our best to avoid damages while your items are in our care. All Ohio moving companies are required by law to allow customers to choose how they would like to be reimbursed in case of accidental damages, often referred to as cargo coverage. We offer the following options for cargo coverage:
- Minimal Reimbursement Coverage: This is the standard coverage that is included in the hourly rate or quote with all moving services in Ohio. This option values items at a rate not to exceed $.60/lb. With this coverage, if something that weighs 20 pounds was damaged, we would reimburse up to $12 to repair or replace the item.
- Full Value Replacement Coverage: This option is available to anyone who wants to make sure that they are fully covered in the event of unforeseen damages. This is billed out at a rate of 1% of the declared value of our items, with a minimum rate of $6 per pound. With this coverage, the declared value (or a minimum of $6/lb x weight) of the load is used to calculate the charges.
- Itemized Coverage: This is something that we offer to customers who are worried about specific items arriving in perfect condition, but do not want to pay to cover the entire load. We have specific approval from the PUCO to offer this coverage, which is not a standard option for most moving companies. In these instances, we would itemize and reimburse for damage based on individual declared values at a rate of 2% of the value of the delcared items.
- Items of Extraordinary Value: Any highly valuable items, those that are considered to be worth over $100/lb, need to be declared separately regardless of the cargo coverage elected. This is another mandated rule for moving companies and is the same regardless of who you choose.
- Smaller Moves: A typical 2 bedroom apartment is the equivilent of approximately 5,000 pounds including all furniuture and boxes. If you selected the minimum coverage and something is damaged during your move, we would repair or replace the item up to $.60 per pound regardless of what the item is. If you selected full replacement coverage, your declared value would need to be at least $35,000 (or the weight of the load x $6 whichever is greater). We would charge you 1% of that value, in this case $350. If anything happened to be damaged with this protection, we would repair the item to like new condition or replace it if it is unrepairable.
- Larger Moves: The billing works the exact same for larger moves as it does smaller ones. Either minimum or full value coverage is selected prior to the move beginning and we would repair or replace items based on the coverage selected. The only thing that is different is the weight of the shipment. Typically a well packed moving truck can carry 8,000-10,000 pounds of cargo. For a move requiring multiple trucks or trips, the total declared value must be at least $6 per pound, meaning that 2 full trucks could be valued at upwards of $100,000.
- Check with your homeowners or renters insurance to see if you have coverage for moving. Many policies will cover your items in transit, but call your agent before moving day for clarification.
- Third party insurance is available online through several carriers and sometimes through your agent. We reccommend making arrangements for additional coverage like this at least 1 week prior to your move. Itemized Coverage is something that we offer to customers who are worried about specific items arriving in perfect condition, but do not want to pay to cover the entire load. In these instances, we would itemize and reimburse for damage based on individual declared values at a rate of 2% of the value of the delcared items.
- Example: You want to purchase coverage for your TV that has a replacement cost of $1,000. In this instance, you would elect the Minimal Reimbursement for your move and we would simply itemize anything that you would like to cover at a higher value (the same as Full Value Replacement). We would notate our Bill of Lading with the items and values that you would like to cover and bill you at 2% of the total declared value. In this instance, the $1,000 TV would be billed at $20 for Full Value Replacement.
Please keep in mind that all cargo coverage options are controlled by state and federal agencies that govern household goods moving companies. Any licensed mover must present you with reimbursement coverage prior to starting your job. We do our very best to not damage anything and are happy to work with you to resolve any damages based on the options that you choose. The standardized language that is found on the back of most moving company forms does limit and exclude reimbursement amounts for some items. We are happy to review this or any other questions with you anytime.
Absolutely! All of our crews bring heavy duty canvas runners and specail door jamb pads with them to your move. If you would like us to bring additional materials like plastic, just let us know!
Typically we start our morning work at 8am, meaning that our trucks leave our facility promptly at 8am to head to your load up. We are centrally located and reach most places in the Columbus area within 10-20 minutes.
Afternoon jobs have no firm start times as we only have a single shift that starts at 8am. We are happy to accomodate afternoon moving, but the start times are dependant on that morning's work. Normal start times for afternoon jobs are between noon and 2pm, but can certainly be earlier or later than that, depending on our work load. We call our afternoon appointments before the guys are dispatched to make sure that you are available to meet them.
Ohio weather can certainly be unpredictable at times, but we don't let that stop us from getting your job done! Most of the weather in the area is easy enough to work through without safety or damage concerns. During hard rain, our guys might take a break until the cell passes (which you would not be billed for). During winter months, we sometimes delay start times in the morning during heavy snow or ice to give plow trucksenough time to clear the roads and give our trucks plenty of time to warm up. If you prefer to change your move date due to weather, simply give us a call and we can work to find another date that may work better for you.
Unlike many moving companies in the Columbus area, we do not require a deposit or any money up front to schedule or complete your move. Payment is due in full upon completion of our work. We accept cash, check, and all major credit cards. Our guys will finalize the bill and collect payment from you after the final walk-through and everything is is placed where you like it.
You bet! We are one of very few moving companies that takes the laws and regulations very seriously and are completely compliant with all licensing requirements. We are fully licensed and insured (we are not bonded as that is not required with the insurane that we carry) to operate interstate and intrastate household goods moves for both residential and commercial customers.
Our license numbers are below for your reference:
Any futher questions or requests for information regarding the status of our licensing and insurance can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
We cannot disconnect or reconnect gas, electric, or water lines from any appliances due to liability regulations with insurance companies. We ask that you please have water, gas, and electric disconnected from any appliances being moved when we arrive. We are happy to move all of your electronics, but also ask that they are unplugged when we arrive. If you need assistance with any of this, please let us know before your move and we will help make arrangements for you.
If you have anything mounted to or hanging on the walls such as TVs, speakers, mirrors, artwork, or other similiar items, we ask that you please have those items removed prior to our arrival.
No, you do not need to be present for our guys to move you. Before we begin moving, we do need to review our contract and reimbursement options with someone and get signatures on our contract to begin work. If you cannot be present at your move, we ask to please coordinate that with us up front or have a friend or family member present that knows exactly what needs to be done.
If you feel like we did an exceptional job, feel free to tip your movers directly or you can add a tip to your total if paying with a check or credit card.
Nope! Our guys all have tool kits with almost anything they could need to basic disassembly and reassembly of beds, desks, tables, and most other commons household items. We are happy to reassemble your items for you at your new home as well!
Schedule movers as far in advance as you can. In the summer months we tend to fill our schedule up 2-4 weeks in advance, while in the winter we book up 1-2 weeks in advance. Weekends are usually more desireable and Fridays and Saturdays are usually the first to fill up. If you can't allow for much notice, just call us to check our schedule and we would be happy to work with you to find a day and time that works.